The Body Shop Italian Summer Fig Eau De Toilette Review

I was in Edinburgh last week, and realized that I had no smelly stuff with me (the horror!). I had been craving a new perfume for awhile anyway, so had a good nose around the beauty counters of Princes Street. Sadly, nothing was calling my name...I mean, I'm a perfume lover, but there are quite a lot of designer perfumes that I think smell frankly horrible! Just me?

Anyway I wandered into The Body Shop, which has been rewarding me with so many vouchers lately with its new points system ( I swear I don't spend any more in there than I ever did, but I keep getting vouchers), so yeah I am feeling good vibes in The Body Shop (btw after buying this, I got ANOTHER £5 voucher, and I swear my points were wiped going into this purchase!).

I spied their new fragrances, they had one called "Black Musk" which wasn't for me, but then I spotted this beauty.

First of all, isn't the box pretty? I'm not a packaging nut but I don't want to get rid of it!




I was slightly skeptical, at £18 this Italian Summer Fig sounded too good to be true. I have tried and liked Jo Malone and Diptyque's fig fragrances but found them a bit spendy for the staying power.

Second of all: It's GREEN! There are not enough green perfumes in the world as far as I am concerned. I really loved the sadly discontinued Covet by Sarah Jessica Parker, which was also green - a chocolate-y citrus fougere that was apparently too bold for mass market. Green perfumes do bring to mind an evil Disney Queen, with witchy powers, which I like :-) (Actually I'm not sure if it's the bottle or the liquid that is green...hmm!) Anyway...
hirdly, and most importantly of course, it smells truly of figs, or is comparable to more expensive fig fragrances I have tried anyway. Fresh, green, lightly fruity and sweet, and ever so slightly creamy. My husband says it "Nice, not too strong" which is basically his version of a thumbs up because he can't deal with strong perfumes.

Fig is such a unique scent, and tends to get lost in perfume blends (I think anyway), so I would say it's hard to adequately describe, you kind of just have to smell it for yourself! It smells what I imagine Provence in the summertime smells like... I just close my eyes and that's what I see...rolling hills and flowers and trees and sunshine faded sundresses and um, cute French men picking figs! ;-0

It's an eau de toilette**, so it's not the most long lasting fragrance in the world, but for £18 I do think it's such a bargain as I would struggle to differentiate between this and more pricey fig fragrances I have tried. I think it will make a lovely Spring/Summer scent as it's so light and inoffensive, yet perhaps more interesting than some other fruity summer scents. It might not be feminine enough for some, but it's super delicate and intriguing to me regardless. I also think it could layer nicely with maybe a soft one note floral or citrus scent. There is also a body lotion in the line so that would also lend to the staying power of this I'd imagine.

So yes, it's good stuff, it perked my bored perfume nose right up, I say give it a sniff!

How about you, are there any perfumes you are digging right now?



* I really love my new black sparkly Hobby Craft felt! - if you want to photograph stuff  with different backgrounds I do recommend your local craft store for cheap and cheerful little bits. :-)

**Am I the only immature person who still giggles at the "Toilet water" moniker? It's French, so we are not to question, but come on, surely they could come up with a more elegant term?! Parfum au fraiche or some such? ;-0

8 comments

  1. Fig is definitely a very unique smell. I managed to buy a natural, hand made soap with figs (don't ask me how they've done it) and it is absolutely fab! I love the smell and how delicate it is for my skin.
    Connect with me:
    BLOGLOVIN: https://www.bloglovin.com/blog...
    INSTA: https://www.instagram.com/igab...
    TWITTER: https://twitter.com/igaberry1
    WEBSITE: https://www.igaberry.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very unique, I think it's really bold of the Body Shop to release it to market!

      Delete
  2. that's a beautiful bottle and color! i am a sucker for packaging ;) my husband isn't too keen on perfumes, but i like the idea (in theory) of having a signature scent. so one year i'm going to buy one of those sampler things from sephora. one day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They outlawed selling decants in the U.K. on ebay which made me cry, how else are you supposed to see if you like something?! But I have bought them from The Perfumed Court (U.S. site) in the past, not sure if they are still going but they have like every perfume ever, it's crazy. We don't have Sephora here which is also a crime!

      Delete
  3. I have never seen anything like this before. It sounds amazing and I love that box too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is a very non-perfumey perfume if that makes any sense! I really don't see how anyone could be offended by it, it's just so pleasant :-)

      Delete
  4. So pretty! Hmm...I love Body Shop. Wish we had one here. (Though I would drop a fortune there and that wouldn't be so good....) I just love that bottle and color though. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am telling you what, sign up to their email list, and you get sent way better online deals(at least in the U.K) Like 30-60% off sometimes, online only,everything.Not that I want to be a pusher/shopping enabler!

      Delete